Narrowband communication networks are deployed to monitor, control and maintain critical industrial processes and distributed assets. Such applications require high reliability and availability especially at the access point, thus driving demand for high duty cycle solutions with built-in redundancy that are capable of continuous operation. The MDS Master Station is built to meet these demanding requirements.
The MDS Master Station offers two transceivers in a 1+1 redundancy, and dual power supplies to maximize network availability. In the event of a failure the controlling logic switches to the standby transceiver unit. Switchover can occur based upon transceiver error codes, loss of communication over a configurable time period or loss of power.
The MDS Master Station supports two types of transceiver modules.
• Orbit licensed or unlicensed transceiver modules enable the latest generation performance,
networking, and security offered in the MDS Orbit platform.
• SD licensed transceiver modules enable the deployment of MDS SD Series networks. Additionally, they
allow for backward compatibility with x710/x790 legacy networks.
• Maximize network availability with 1+1 transceiver protection and hot-swappable components
• Range of backward compatibility and migration options to extend or evolve legacy networks and provide project budget flexibility
• Simple migration options with field upgradability from SD to Orbit radio modules
• The most comprehensive set of cybersecurity and networking capabilities offered by the Orbit platform provides protection from threats and ease of integration into modern networks
• Integration with the MDS PulseNET network management system
Reliability & Modularity
• 1+1 transceiver redundancy with warm standby and fast radio switchover
• Various AC/DC power supply options with redundant operation
• Modular, in-service, hot-swappable components
• Operation from -30 to +60 °C
• Rated for continuous operation
• No moving parts or fans
• Battery backup option
• Support for GE MDS SD Series radio technology covering the 300-512 MHz and 880-960 MHz bands with backward compatibility to legacy X710/X790 systems
• Support for GE MDS Orbit unlicensed 900MHz1 or licensed technology with QAM covering the 100, 200, 400, 700, and 900 MHz bands
• MDS Orbit supports up to 50kHz bandwidth in 200 and 700 MHz bands
• Optional internal duplexer, GPS, and WiFi
• Connectivity for additional notched filter